Whats better the Cricut or the Silhouette?
** Well this post certainly needed some updating! Not only is there a new silhouette machine, but the old SD machine is now discontinued and pretty much obsolete. The new silhouette cameo machine is certainly the new force to be reconned with.
I can’t go so far as to say that if you buy a Cricut now you have thrown your money away, but I can say you made a big mistake. The Cricut is not a bad machine, but the new Silhouette Cameo is light years beyond and worth every penny!
So you can read on if you like, but hands down now the Silhouette Cameo is the machine to go with. **
Whew – This could be a touchy subject among crafters! I just thought I would add my two cents. Let me start off by saying I do love things about BOTH the cricut machine and the silhouette. I also get frustrated by BOTH machines. What it really comes down to is they need to get married and have a baby. Making the perfect machine!
- Love that the Cricut can cut 12″wide.
- Love that the Silhouette can cut any length. (Silhouette recommends cutting about 40″ at a time)
- Love the cute Cricut Cartridges
- Love that on both machines I can use any True Type font. Even dingbats! This is a great way to get lots of images.
- Love the Silhouette online store – after I purchase them they go right into my library! No messing around and trying to import.
- Love that you don’t have to use a mat with certain materials on the Silhouette. If the material has a backing such as vinyl or t shirt vinyl the mat is of no use. Thus saving it for the paper projects you have in mind.
- Love that there are TONS of free or really cheap SVG’s for the Cricut.
- Love how easy it is to cut on the Silhouette – No guessing speeds, blade depths, and so on. You just select what material you are cutting and the Silhouette figures everything else out. I double love that one!
- Love that you can hook up both the Cricut & Silhouette to your computer. The software for both machines makes for endless possibilities.
- Love how light and easy the Silhouette machine is to tote around and hook up. I don’t have room to keep it hooked up all the time so I’m often running downstairs to grab it so I can bring it upstairs to the computer.
- Love how small and intricut the Silhouette machine can cut.
- Love the Cricut message board. Loads of ideas and tips.
- Love the print and cut feature of the Silhouette. You can add registration marks print out your image and then set it up in your Silhouette. It will use the registration marks to cut your printed image out perfectly. This is a huge LOVE feature.
- The cost of having all the cute cartridges for the Cricut. (easy fix – buy the ones I really love and use fonts and images for everything else.)
- The Silhouette studios software has a learning curve. I’m still on that curve but loving when I learn how to do something new.
- The guessing on what speed, blade depths, and so on will work with my project with the Cricut machine.
- How heavy the Cricut machine is.
- Taking all the cartridges I “might” need at a crop.
Not too many Don’t Loves. There are just so many projects you can do with any cutting machine.
If you have to choose one machine I wish you luck on the decision. It is a really tough one. I’m sure in the end you will love which ever machine you choose. There is just so much you can do with both the Silhouette and the Cricut.